Learn more about the history of electric fans. Also, discover its different types, benefits, the best ways to use an electric fan in your home, as well as product recommendations to choose from.
With the rising pace of modern technology, we’re currently living in an era of many choices.
Things as small as an electric fan now comes in different varieties, and you’re guaranteed to find one to meet your needs. From desk fans, floor fans, to industrial blowers, there truly is an option for anyone and everyone.
When most people picture an electric fan, they imagine a standard floor or desktop fan that blows air on your face on a hot day. While these types of fans are common – and frequently used to keep your personal space cool – electric fans can do so much more for your house. They can cool down your room, help maintain humidity levels, and even help you sleep better at night – and that’s just the beginning.
Before buying an electric fan, it’s important to think carefully about what you want it to do, and where you plan to put it.
In this article, we discuss the best ways to use an electric fan in your home. We also discuss its history, different types, benefits, as well as recommendations to choose from.
Electric Fan Description
An electric fan is defined as “a powered machine used to create a flow of air. A fan consists of a rotating arrangement of vanes or blades, which act on the air. The rotating assembly of blades and hub is known as an impeller, rotor, or runner. Usually, it is contained within some form of housing, or case.”
Most electric fans are powered by electric motors, but other power sources may be used, including handcranks, hydraulic motors, and internal combustion engines.
History. The punkah fan was used in India around 500 BCE. It was a handheld fan made from bamboo strips or other plant fiber, that could be fanned or rotated to move air. During British rule, the word came to be used by Anglo-Indians to mean a large, swinging flat fan, fixed to the ceiling and pulled by a servant known as a punkawallah.
Between 1882 – 1886, Schuyler Wheeler invented a fan powered by electricity. Commercially, it was marketed by the American firm, Crocker & Curtis electric motor company. In 1882, Philip Diehl invented the world’s first electric ceiling fan. In 1909, KDK of Japan pioneered the invention of mass-produced electric fans for home use. In the 1920s, industrial advances allowed steel fans to be mass-produced in varying shapes, bring fan prices down and allowing more homeowners to afford them.
In the 1930s, the first art deco fan – known as the ‘Silver Swan’ – was designed by Emerson. By the 1940s, Crompton Greaves of India became the world’s largest manufacturer of electric ceiling fans mainly for sale in India, the Middle East, and Asia. By the 1950s, table and stand fans were manufactured in eye-catching designs and bright colors.
In the 1960s, central air conditioning caused many companies to discontinue to production of electric fans. However, in the mid-1970s, due to an increasing awareness of electricity costs and the amount of energy necessary to cool and heat homes, ceiling fans became very popular again as both decorative and energy-efficient units.
Electric Fan Benefits
Electric fans can cool down your room, help maintain humidity levels, and even help you sleep better at night – and that’s just the beginning. Below, we list down some of the benefits of using an electric fan.
- Cool down your room (and yourself). Electric fans are a very inexpensive way to cool down almost any room in your home. They can also be quite refreshing, as they circulate cool air throughout the room.
- Maintain humidity levels. An electric fan can do more than just cool down your room. Because they ventilate the room, maintaining proper humidity levels is easy. Remember, too much humidity can damage your home.
Blowing fresh air into the room can help keep humidity levels down in your home, and keep indoor areas well-ventilated. Plus, the constant circulation of air helps keep the air in your home clean as well as dry – it’s a win-win all the way around.
- Deal with smoke – and smokers. Whether you’re dealing with a small kitchen mishap or a cigar-smoking sibling, an electric fan can be a lifesaver. Use your desktop fan or floor fan to suck up the smoky air and blow it out an open door or window. Pointed in the right direction, an electric fan can act as an exhaust. Once the room is cleared from smoke, turn it around to blow fresh air back into the room.
- Sleep easier. It can be particularly hard to sleep on a warm summer night. Usually, you have to choose between turning on your noisy air conditioner or suffer from the uncomfortable heat.
A bedroom electric fan can be a great alternative, as it operates much quieter compared to an air conditioning unit and it significantly lowers room temperature. Also, the cool breeze from the electric fan can be relaxing while you try to fall asleep. Plus, it’s more cost-efficient!
Electric Fan Features and Types
There are different types of electric fans, each with their own convenient features. Listed below are some of the most common types of electric fans.
- Floor Fan. From stationary to oscillating to compact to tower design, floor fans provide sufficient air circulation with oscillating and stationary heads, while some fans can be positioned at any height or angle. Moreover, adjustable and variable speed settings allow users to tailor air flow while circulating air.
- Desk and Table Fans. Desk and table fans are a preferred choice for individual use, and usually carry similar design features. Desk and table fans are compact, oscillate for better air flow, provide high CFMs, and are portable.
- Tower Fans. Tower fans are one of the most frequently used electric fans, as their slender design, unique air distribution, and energy-efficiency appeal to people who live in apartments or work in offices. Tower fans oscillate, pushing air out at a 90-degree angle. Typically situated on a sturdy base, tower fans are slim enough to fit between furniture or next to a desk, but still circulate enough air.
- Misting Fans. Misting fans are comprised of special nozzles, tubing, and a water supply. Many larger misting fans also has a high-pressure pump. Water is pushed through the special nozzles, entering the air as droplets which evaporate when touched by exterior heat and form a light mist.
Many businesses and commercial establishments use portable misting fans during the summer to keep their patrons cool. Many homeowners also prefer to use them to keep people and pets cool, especially during hot summer days.
Electric Fan User Reviews and Recommendations
Looking for the right electric fan for you? Here are some of our recommendations, along with some user reviews.
- Astron MIRAGE Industrial Floor Fan | 10″ Metal Blade | 50W (Black) | Electric Fan | Compact Design
The Astron MIRAGE Industrial Floor Fan is a 10″ industrial floor fan that features metal blades, 3-speed control, high-performance motor, and a compact design. It comes with 50W, 230 Vac 60Hz, and a 1-year warranty.
“Malakas naman ang hangin kaya okay. I just don’t know kung matibay o gaano katagal ang brand na ito. We’ll see. It was packed properly naman at delivered ng maayos.” – April R.
“Small but terrible, sobrang lakas ng hangin niya kahit maliit siya. Nakakatakot lang kasi parang umaamoy, feeling ko puputok na lang siya bigla. Buti na lang lifetime warranty siya kaya no worries.” – E
“Maliit lang sya pero ang lakas ng buga ng hangin.. I can carry pa anywhere kasi maliit lang sya.. It’s a 5 star for me.” – A
“It was small but yes it’s powerful. I like the color blue metal. it serves its purpose. Handy and cute. A little bit noisy but tolerable..” – Maria R.
- CAMEL 16″ Stand Fan Automatic Shaking Head Electric Fan
The CAMEL 16″ Stand Fan features 3-speed knob switch, a unique hollow circular base allowing it to stand more stable, and a light banana type power blade to increase wind cycle and keep you cool in hot weather. This fan also features an oscillating action that cuts off the flow of electrical current when it reaches a certain temperature, avoiding overheating.
“As always maganda talaga ang brand ng camel.. Camel user since birth hahaha.” – Honey
“Maganda quality compared sa standard fan na nabili ko. medyo maingay nga lng xa compara sa standard fan.” – J
“Camel fans of good quality. There were a few rust and bumps on the item as seen on the photos attached. No manual (might be challenging for some folks), the box was slightly a bit worn out. Pricier compared to mall price, but would prefer to order it online just to save me the trouble. Overall, still a good buy nonetheless.” – M
“Maganda at malakas talaga yung buga ng hangin electric fan kahit naka number 1 lang..” – B
- Hanabishi HISF180 18″ Industrial Stand Fan
The Hanabishi HISF180 18″ Industrial Stand Fan features 18-inch, 3-wing aluminum blades and 3-speed control system. It also comes with oscillation control and adjustable fan head and stand height. It also features a thermal fuse protected motor.
“No need na ako mag aircon. At saka nakakaantok sya dzai! Dmo kaya. Hahahaha. Hindi maganda pangwork from home, tunog pa lang hinehele kana. But thank you sa courier and hanabishi! I like it super!” – Caren P.
“This is highly recommended. It is powerful and relatively silent.” – Pascua
“Generic industry fans. Does the job. And the cord is a bit short. Wind is generally enough and as expected. But can be equally compared to a banana type fans. Takes up space.” – K
“Malakas naman siya. Number 1 palang parang dadalhin na ng hangin ang pangarap mo. Medyo maingay lang sabi ng electric fan “shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh” tapos ang tulis ng mga bakal parang hindi napolish baka maputol daliri mo shunga ka pa naman.” – P
- FUKUDA Stand Fan SF-164RB
The FUKUDA Stand Fan SF-164RB is a 16” plastic stand fan that features oscillating action, a 3-speed control system, as well as adjustable neck and height. It has a basic, durable design.
“Legit 100% maganda.. MALAKAS din sya.. iba din tlga banana blade, high quality sa murang halaga. The best ka FUKUDA.. THANKS.” – Geriline M.
“Super worth it for its price! Malakas din yung hangin kahit nasa 1 lang.” – A
“Item came well packed and was delivered in just 2 days. As for the fan it was super easy to assemble and it works like a charm. In fact the number 1 power setting for this fan is a strong as he number 3 on my Eureka stand fan. Definitely impressed. Bang for the buck!” – JR
“Very convenient and safe specially during this time of Enhanced Community Quarantine. Next day delivery. Unit is light, 40w motor, OK so far.” – R
- Eureka Wall Fan EWF-16
The Eureka Wall Fan EWF-16 features a high-performance motor, 3-speed push button switch, and a swing function. It also has an adjustable tilting head, push and pull oscillating action, 230V a.c. 60Hz, and 50 W. It is also thermally fuse protected.
“Akala namin yung normal size na maliit lang na wall fan. Super satisfied kasi malaki siya and all working. Thank youuu so much.” – R
“Got it! Super happy on the item complete parts and all working with turnilyo pang kasama. Mukha naman matibay and tatagal.” – HFLendrina
“Been using this for a week now and I haven’t encountered any problems.” – Leslie
“Anlakas ng hangin kahit number 1 lang.” – Remz
- Asahi XF 6077 Retro Wooden Stand Fan
The Asahi XF 6077 Retro Wooden Stand Fan is a 16” stand fan that features 405mm fan blades, with a fan speed of 1,130 RPM and motor 70W. It also features a non-continuous rotary switch, adjustable height, and a thermal cutoff fuse.
“It’s quiet and it’s super nice because it’s very easy to assemble. Good aesthetics.” – MJRMagallanes
“Easy to assemble. Well packaged complete with box, warranty card, sales invoice. With 5 years warranty on motor. Ang lakas ng hangin. So satisfied with the purchase. Worth the hype. Aesthetically pleasing talaga.” – Mia
“Love love this fan! So classy at sakto lang yung lakas for the summer! Medyo may amoy wiring lang sa unang gamit pero nawala din naman in time.” – C
“I LOVE IT SOOO MUCH!! I want to buy again pa. Ang lakas pa ng fan. Ang dali lang i-assemble. Ang ganda ng quality. Sturdy din siya. Hindi ko na sinagad ang height niya cos I like it more that way. I really love the aesthetics also. Perfect for this summer. Sooo nice ASAHI.” – S
Electric Fan Price Prices of electric fans can vary, depending on the type and brand that you purchase. Electric fan prices can range anywhere from Php 300 to Php 1,000+.