The internet has changed the way that people do business and shopping. With the rise of eCommerce platforms like Lazada ( Lasada ), buyers and sellers alike have more options to showcase their goods and purchase a wide variety of products.
But, what exactly is eCommerce?
Essentially, eCommerce is the buying and selling of goods or services via the internet, and the transfer of data and money to complete the sales. It is also known as internet commerce or electronic commerce.
With the increasing demand for online shopping, more and more businesses are moving from a brick-and-mortar stores to an electronic one. Over the course of time, many people consider it natural to buy and sell products online, which is where a platform like Lasada comes in.
What is Lasada?
What are its benefits? How do you use this platform to buy and sell products?
Discover the answers to these questions and more.
Lasada (Lazada) Description
Lazada Group is a Singaporean multinational technology company which mainly focuses on eCommerce. Founded by Maximilian Bittner with the backing of Rocket Internet in 2012, it is currently owned by the Alibaba Group after its acquisition in 2016.
In 2014, the Lazada Group operated sites in several countries and has raised about US$647 million over several investment rounds from its investors such as Rocket Internet, Summit Partners, Tesco, Investment AB Kinnevik Temasek Holdings, and JPMorgan Chase.
Its sites launched in March 2012, with a business model of selling inventory to customers from its own warehouses. In 2013, it added a marketplace model that enabled third-party retailers to sell their own products through Lasada’s website; the marketplace accounted for about 65% of its sales by the end of 2014.
In 2016, the Alibaba Group bought controlling stake in Lazada to support Alibaba’s international expansion plans.
In 2018, Lasada was the largest eCommerce operator in Southeast Asia based on average monthly web visits. In 2019, Lazada claimed that it was the leading eCommerce platform in Southeast Asia with over 50 million active buyers annually.
Here’s an official excerpt from Lazada’s website:
Launched in 2012, Lazada is the number-one online shopping and selling destination in Southeast Asia – present in Indonesia, Malaysia, the Philippines, Singapore, Thailand and Vietnam.
As the pioneer of the eCommerce ecosystem in the Southeast Asia, Lazada has 155,000 sellers and 3,000 brands serving 560 million consumers in the region through its marketplace platform, supported by a wide range of tailored marketing, data and service solutions. With 300 million SKUs available, Lazada offers the widest range of products in categories from consumer electronics to household goods, toys, fashion, sports equipment and groceries.
Focused on delivering an excellent customer experience, it offers multiple payment methods including cash-on-delivery, comprehensive customer care and hassle-free returns through its own first and last mile delivery arm supported by approximately 100 logistics partners. Lazada Group is majority owned by Alibaba Group Holding Limited (NYSE: BABA).
Lasada (Lazada) Benefits
Lazada offers numerous benefits to sellers and buyers alike. Here are some of the top benefits of using this platform.
- Benefits for Sellers
Below are some of the benefits of using Lasada for businesses and individual sellers:
- Lower costs. Going online eliminates the need for a physical storefront, which means lower fixed expenses for the business. Also, since using Lasada is mostly automated, fewer staff members are required. Furthermore, marketing your Lasada store using Facebook advertising, social media marketing, and Google Adwords is much more cost-effective than promoting offline.
These cost-savings translate to lower prices for the consumer – and more sales for your business. This is one of the key benefits of using Lazada for your business.
- Wider customer base. By using an eCommerce platform like Lazada, geographical boundaries become inconsequential. You could sell your products to online shoppers across the country – or even across the globe! You’re not limited to shoppers in your physical location.
Moreover, the internet also opens up your store to different niche audiences that you normally wouldn’t have access to. By using multiple online touchpoints, you can access customers from all angles by going where they already are, such as on forums and social media.
- Open 24/7. When you sell on Lasada, your business is open 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, and 365 days a year. Even though your customer support may be sleeping, automation ensures that the rest of the sales process is always flowing smoothly and that customers can buy any day and at any time.
- Benefits for Buyers
Below are some of the benefits of using Lasada for buyers:
- Saves time. In today’s society where time is a seemingly rare commodity, online shopping provides massive time savings for buyers. No need to head out, shop in-store, wait in line, and then drive back home when you can access a wide variety of products at a lower price point – all from the comforts of your own home.
- Informed decision-making. Information is literally at your fingertips when buying from Lasada, including: reviews from real customers, product descriptions, product guides, and usage videos.
Comparison shopping is another one of the top benefits of using an eCommerce platform like Lazada. Shopping online allows buyers to easily compare brands and products, with even a side-by-side comparison possible. This allows you to make smarter and more informed shopping decision.
- Convenient and safe. Shopping whenever you want from wherever you are is preferable (and a whole lot safer!) than heading out in this COVID reality that we’re currently living in.
But coronavirus aside, there’s also something to be said about shopping from your own home, without having to go out, endure traffic, wait in lines, battle the hot weather, and all the other challenges that go along with shopping.
Lasada (Lazada) Features
Lasada has a number of features which make it easy to use for both businesses and shoppers. Some of its many features include:
- Different Payment Options. For the longest time, Lazada pioneered Cash on Delivery (COD) and it was one of the biggest contributors to its success. By ordering and being able to pay upon delivery, buyers are able to get the best items possible at the best prices.
Today, Lazada also gives you other payment options to make things more convenient. Credit cards, PayMaya, and GCash are very welcome in the website. Aside from these, the established Lazada Wallet system provides you with more convenience for paying for your items, while also allowing customers to get more discounts and deals. Explore the many payment options that Lasada has to offer and see which suits your preferences.
- Nationwide Shipping. Effortless shopping has always been synonymous with Lazada in the Philippines. After all, this eCommerce platform offers top Nationwide Shipping for your ordered items, allowing you to have your items delivered straight on your doorstep!
- Lazada Wallet. Pay securely, seamlessly, and enjoy hassle-free shopping through Lazada Wallet, a cashless payment method. All Lazada Wallet transactions are covered by Lazada’s Payment Protection.
To activate your Lazada Wallet:
- Log in to your Lazada account and click on ‘Manage My Account’ > ‘Lazada Wallet’.
- Next, you will have to verify your mobile number. Please enter your mobile number then click on ‘GET CODE’. Type in the One-Time Password (OTP) that you receive via SMS. Note: Each mobile number can only be linked to 1 Lazada Wallet.
- Click on ‘Verify’ to finish the activation process.
- LazMall Delivery Guarantee. The LazMall Delivery Guarantee is a fast delivery service that Lasada provides to their LazMall customers for selected items. Lasada promises to compensate customers for these deliveries if they do not meet their maximum delivery promised date.
Lasada (Lazada) How to Use
Are you new to the world of online shopping? If you’re still trying to navigate the Lasada platform, here’s a quick how-to-use guide that you should keep in mind.
When buying from Lazada, you can order through 2 different routes.
If you already know what you are buying, simply type the product at the search bar and watch as item(s) that you searched for appears. (Or, you can browse the website to see what products are available. You can use the different tabs and menus on the website and app’s interface to see the deals and other relevant items available at Lasada).
Once you’re done browsing and choosing the product(s) you want to buy, you can simply click on ‘Add the Items to Your Cart’. Then, select the number of items you want. Finally, ‘Checkout’ to see your order summary. Put in your email address, applicable voucher code(s), and other necessary details on the website. Also, indicate how you want to pay for your products (i.e. COD or Lazada Wallet). Finally, click the orange box to place your order and Lazada will do the rest.
It’s as easy as that!
Lasada (Lazada) User Reviews
Lasada benefits both buyers and sellers alike. So, discover what people are saying about their experiences doing business and shopping online on Lazada:
“My first experience in online shopping is in Lazada. All I can say that its very useful and convenient website where you can buy a lot of things. With Lazada, you can avoid the hassle of looking and buying for something. They offer COD option too. I love Lazada.” – Jamie
“I love doing an online job business where comfort and time is maximize. No need to go to an office or anywhere else just post your products and services offered and it will reach to the customers with no hassle.” – Marilyn
“Do not order anything expensive on Lazada! I ordered the Gopro hero 9 from the Urban Gadgets store on Lazada for 26k. I used it for the first time in the ocean in shallow water and the screen malfunctioned within a few minutes of it getting wet. The Urban Gadgets store refuses to help me, saying I shouldn’t have wet it without the diving case, yet Gopro is advertised on their site as being waterproof up to 9m. They told me to contact Gopro support myself, who you can never get through to.
I complained on 2 March and that is the last time I heard anything back from Lazada regarding this case. Their customer service was also rude when I asked for support regarding an expensive pair of shoes which I accidentally bought the wrong size for. I was willing to pay any costs to exchange them for the correct size but they just closed the chat. It’s not a company that should be dealing with people. I have basically thrown over 30k pesos in the toilet by ordering from Lazada.” – Melissa
“It’s so good nothing can beat with this online business, everyone loves it. That’s all.” – Elisa
“Lazada is the best shopping online platform for Filipinos. I ordered a chessboard in this site months ago before the lockdown and they deliver the product in just 3 days. Wow, what a nice service. The site is well organized based on your desire. It’s easy to order your favorite products in just a few clicks. I have to order again and again. Well done Lazada!” – John Mark
“Supposed to be a Good Company. This company is supposed to be one of the top online computer stores in the Philippines. However, I would not recommend them. Lazada is primarily a platform for selling from various small entities, primarily from China.
I was recently was trying to purchase computers for my business. I went through their platform and used a small Manila company called Choice Gadgets and put an order for 2 gaming notebook computers. The process was a total fraud and scam. I reported the fraudulent activity to Lazada and they did nothing. I recommend that if you are looking to supply your business, DO NOT USE LAZADA.” – Randy
“Lazada is okay. Lazada is okay as long as you know how to use it. I never had issues with all my purchases at Lazada. The trick is, always check the seller. Check his customer reviews, item reviews and the number of items purchased from different buyers. You can also trust the official company sellers. So far, I never encountered any problems with them. The seller’s reputation is everything.” – Jerard
“LAZADA.com.ph is a good platform (if you know what you are doing) I have been buying from LAZADA.com.ph for the past 3 years and so far everything is good. I had to return some items and the refund/replacement process was simple (done via LBC). Delivery time is normally spot on.
Tips: 1. Always buy from a SELLER that has a high trust rating (for example: if LAZADA itself is the seller, or Blade, or Memoxpress and etc…).
Tips: 2. Avoid (this should be obvious) buying from SELLERs with low ratings (less than 80%). These are normally the problematic ones. If you do buy from these suspicious sellers, it’s caveat emptor (buyer beware)!” – Jonathan Louis
“I see selling at Lazada totally convenient (especially for shy-type sellers out there like me) and profitable at the same time. See, I just made PHP6,000 sales within my first two weeks. It’s not big as other sellers make, but it’s a good start.
If you also plan to become a Lazada seller, then just take things and efforts seriously. Dropping off parcels requires some work and time, especially if you receive just one or two orders every other day. Keep on adding more and more products to your listings and get more orders soon.” – Marc Kenneth